E-ISSN 2231-3206 | ISSN 2320-4672
 

Original Research 


Incidence and pattern of poisoning cases admitted in a tertiary care center

Geetha Rani A, Bhuvaneshwaran B, Inba Idhaya.

Abstract
Background: Poisoning, either accidental or intentional, is a major consideration in relation to health-care systems. It is one of the important causes of mortality and morbidity. It is important to know the nature, pattern, and severity of poisoning occurring in concerned areas so as to reduce the mortality due to that.

Aims and Objectives: The objectives of this study were as follows: (1) To estimate the incidence and pattern of poisoning in Government Thoothukudi Medical College Hospital and (2) to estimate the survival outcomes and mortality due to poisoning.

Materials and Methods: This study was a retrospective observational study that was done by collecting the data from the Medical record department (MRD) regarding the patients diagnosed and admitted with poisoning in Government Thoothukudi Medical College Hospital during June 2018. The data were analyzed to estimate the incidence and outcomes of these poisoning cases.

Results: Among 103 cases admitted with poisoning, 61.17% were male and 38.33% were female. About 75% had a suicidal mode of poisoning and the remaining 25% were accidental. Hair dye (22%) was the most common type of poisoning observed, followed by organophosphorus poisoning (13%) and snakebite (13%). The mortality rate was around 3.9% and majority were due to organophosphorus poisoning.

Conclusion: Hair dye was the most common poisoning occurring in this area though no deaths were reported due to it in this study. However, mortality was observed more with organophosphorus poisoning in the present study.

Key words: Poisoning; Hair Dye; Suicide


 
ARTICLE TOOLS
Abstract
PDF Fulltext
How to cite this articleHow to cite this article
Citation Tools
Related Records
 Articles by Geetha Rani A
Articles by Bhuvaneshwaran B
Articles by Inba Idhaya
on Google
on Google Scholar


How to Cite this Article
Pubmed Style

A GR, B B, Idhaya I. Incidence and pattern of poisoning cases admitted in a tertiary care center. Natl J Physiol Pharm Pharmacol. 2020; 10(4): 309-312. doi:10.5455/njppp.2020.10.02033202018022020


Web Style

A GR, B B, Idhaya I. Incidence and pattern of poisoning cases admitted in a tertiary care center. http://www.njppp.com/?mno=83869 [Access: December 01, 2020]. doi:10.5455/njppp.2020.10.02033202018022020


AMA (American Medical Association) Style

A GR, B B, Idhaya I. Incidence and pattern of poisoning cases admitted in a tertiary care center. Natl J Physiol Pharm Pharmacol. 2020; 10(4): 309-312. doi:10.5455/njppp.2020.10.02033202018022020



Vancouver/ICMJE Style

A GR, B B, Idhaya I. Incidence and pattern of poisoning cases admitted in a tertiary care center. Natl J Physiol Pharm Pharmacol. (2020), [cited December 01, 2020]; 10(4): 309-312. doi:10.5455/njppp.2020.10.02033202018022020



Harvard Style

A, G. R., B, . B. & Idhaya, . I. (2020) Incidence and pattern of poisoning cases admitted in a tertiary care center. Natl J Physiol Pharm Pharmacol, 10 (4), 309-312. doi:10.5455/njppp.2020.10.02033202018022020



Turabian Style

A, Geetha Rani, Bhuvaneshwaran B, and Inba Idhaya. 2020. Incidence and pattern of poisoning cases admitted in a tertiary care center. National Journal of Physiology, Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 10 (4), 309-312. doi:10.5455/njppp.2020.10.02033202018022020



Chicago Style

A, Geetha Rani, Bhuvaneshwaran B, and Inba Idhaya. "Incidence and pattern of poisoning cases admitted in a tertiary care center." National Journal of Physiology, Pharmacy and Pharmacology 10 (2020), 309-312. doi:10.5455/njppp.2020.10.02033202018022020



MLA (The Modern Language Association) Style

A, Geetha Rani, Bhuvaneshwaran B, and Inba Idhaya. "Incidence and pattern of poisoning cases admitted in a tertiary care center." National Journal of Physiology, Pharmacy and Pharmacology 10.4 (2020), 309-312. Print. doi:10.5455/njppp.2020.10.02033202018022020



APA (American Psychological Association) Style

A, G. R., B, . B. & Idhaya, . I. (2020) Incidence and pattern of poisoning cases admitted in a tertiary care center. National Journal of Physiology, Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 10 (4), 309-312. doi:10.5455/njppp.2020.10.02033202018022020